Tab candy in tab bar
Tab candy is a great idea but what would be even better if it was already integrated to the tab bar. What I mean is that the ability to group and organize would be aready in tab bar and groups would appear next to open tabs. I even made a picture of my idea.
Something really simple but I think it's enough to give you the idea.
There you can see there are four groups. Three of them are collapsed and one expanded.
- When hovering on a group it shows (maybe?) vertically what tabs are in that group.
- When clicking on a group it expands and the previous group collapses.
- Ability to drag&drop tabs from current group to other group.
- Ability to hide groups to tab candy page.
- Ability to organaize everything in tab candy page (well thats already there :D).
- Maybe automatically makeing a new group when opening a number of new tabs from one webpage (for example when on Google search opening all results from page one).
- Grouping selected tabs... if there would be the ability to select tabs?
Lastly... I don't know if it's in the right place to ask it but I hope there's a way to reduce memory consumption because if that many tabs are open at the same time then usually firefox consumes a lot of memory. Even though I have 6gb mem with i7 the huge memory consumption still increases the chance of firefox craching. It's almost always on top of the memory consumtion list on my PC with 878 532K (I have surfed internet all day and currently have over 20 tabs open) and the second place on mem consumption is svchost.exe with 134 184K.
I know it might be maybe some addons fault or something, I don't know and when I restart firefox it's normal and again but still it's problem till I don't restart it.
I found "AFOM addon" for this and I'll try it right now to see how it works but I don't know if that's the best solution.
See my idea here for how this could be implemented:
You may want to check out tab kit, it allows this functionality: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5447/
Although, I definitely found tab candy to be nicer to use.
I thought about the same thing when I watched the demo. I personally have 2 groups of tabs - work and leisure, sometimes additional ones crop up when I research a specific topic. So yeah it would be great if all groups were visible on the tab bar and all but active one were collapsed. This way you always know these groups are there and you can very easily switch between them.